Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Dragon Age Origins review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shadow

shadow

My Dragon Age Origins review Empty
PostSubject: My Dragon Age Origins review   My Dragon Age Origins review I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 am

Here is my Dragon age origins review.

My Dragon Age Origins review 23757643.th

I have had the game a couple of days and have put quite a bit of time into it already, the game is huge and this review will only really touch the surface of the game so don’t expect too much.

My Dragon Age Origins review Dr1x.th

Dragon age origins is a EA game developed by (in my opinion leaders in western rpg’s) Bioware, the makers of some of the best games of the genre Baldarsgate and the Neverwinter nights series.

First of this game has had a lot of hype and fortunately it has stepped up to the plate, if I was to write a short review I would simply say EPIC.

The story is fantastic and The player begins his or her journey from one of the six origin stories which serve as an introductory point for the players and present the world from their personal point of view. The origin story chosen (the choices being Human Noble, Human/Elf Mage, Dalish Elf, City Elf, Dwarf Commoner and Dwarf Noble) determines who the character is and how NPCs react to the player. Each of the different origins reveals a different side of the story and this really adds to the replay value of the game.

After one chooses a character class one chooses a fighting style for example mage, fighter, rouge etc and can then customize the appearance, voice etc of the character and then begins the origin story.

After completing their character's respective origin story, the player encounters Duncan, leader of an elite group known as the Grey Wardens. Duncan guides the player to their destiny of becoming a Grey Warden and this starts the main quest of the game were on must rid the world (Ferelden) of the darkspawn.

There are 100s of quests to be had in the game and a lot of NPC characters that can join the party and as a new member joins more quests related specifically to that character can become available, quests can be found by talking with NPC or looking on work boards around various villages, towns or cities. the quests vary in difficulty and are worth investigating.

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro4.th

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro3h.th

I personally started the game using a elf mage and will base the screenshots etc on this character, but i also have a fighter that i havent spent much time with yet, if you register the game at the offical Bioware site they keep a record of your characters, achievements etc as well as screenshots which is a nice touch.

My Dragon Age Origins review Dao1.th

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro1.th

The mage has as expected a lot of options available from general to more specific and at certain points can further branch out into more specialized areas like shapeshifting,all the expected spells are there and you can also create potions and poisons if you choose to take that path.

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro2r.th

One thing I have noticed and that is right from the outset my mage is quite powerful unlike some dark rpg’s that have very weak mages to start with becoming more powerful as time goes on my mage can handle himself very well in most situations, and add to that a maximum of three other party members allows for a really nice balance to be had of ranged and melee attackers.

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro5.th

The fighting in the game encourages one to use the pause feature to assign different attacks for each of your party members and is really quite tactical, the enemy AI is very good, targeting weaker members of the party , I have found the friendly AI to be wanting a little and even if you spend a lot of time creating individual tactics for the party members find that I have to pause and control each member frequently. battles become quite difficult and Ive found it really important to balance the party well with ranged and melee working well together.

you can be injured during battles which inflicts a constant penalty on the party member requiring you to use kits to remove the aliment, penalties can include defense, attack etc

My Dragon Age Origins review Drono.th

My Dragon Age Origins review 87483808.th

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro13.th

My Dragon Age Origins review Dr11y.th

equipment and items can be found by looting corpses, chests, barrels etc and certain weapons and armor can also be upgraded and infused with magic abilities, and of course items and equipment can also be brought from various merchants.

when equipping your party you will have to take into consideration the weight of the items and any bonuses or penalties that may arise from the item.

The graphics are fantastic, really clean and crisp and a pleasure to be part of.

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro7.th

My Dragon Age Origins review Dro6.th

My Dragon Age Origins review Dr11.th

the sound track is exceptional as is the storyline which sucks you in, added to that the best voice acting I’ve ever experienced really makes it hard to find faults with the game. In saying that It definitely isn’t perfect, I’ve spoken about the AI and would also complain about the camera angles as well, they have no set guidance and can be controlled by holding down the right mouse button, I would prefer something like NWN were you can set the camera to follow above and behind and then adjust it if you need to. As well as that related to the camera the map is sometimes misleading due to it showing the direction of the camera not the player view.

Other than that I think it is top class in every other category and highly recommend it to everyone fans of the genre or newbie’s a-like.

The game offers downloadable content in the form of new characters and also armor etc, if you buy the game new you will be given one character and a set of armor for free other than that expect to pay for it.

I have to give this game a 9.5/10 apart from those few small grips I have the game is in my view flawless, im only 10 or so hours into it and already can tell it will have me hooked for months to come.

Well that’s about enough to give you all a taste of the game there are better and more in-depth reviews around but hopefully this wets your tastebuds and encourages you to check this game out.

system reqirements: OS: Windows XP or Vista/Windows7, CPU: intel single 1.6 Ghz or equivalent, AMD athlon 64 2.0 Ghz or higher, RAM: 1gb XP 1.5gb Vista or windows7, Hard Drive: 20gb HD space, Video: ATI Radeon X850 256mb or greater, Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128mb or greater VISTA: ATI Radeon X1550 256mb- Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT 256mb, Sound: Directx compatible sound card

recommended specs: OS: windows XP SP3 or windows vista/windows7, CPU: intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or higher, AMD Phenom ll X2 dual-core 2.7Ghz or higher, RAM: 2gb (3gb vista/windows7), Video: ATI Radeon HD3850 512mb or better, Nvidia 8800GTS 512mb or higher

im running this game with graphics detail very high, texture detail high and 4x AA at native resolution of 1680x1050 and frames rates are stable and never drop below the mid to high 40's.

This game is a definite contender for game of the year and potentially even game of the decade…YES it is that damn good.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited by shadow on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
yellow

yellow

PostSubject: Re: My Dragon Age Origins review   My Dragon Age Origins review I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 am

hae shadow i play dragon age aswell, hae just wonderin have u played as a rouge cause i dunno wat stats 2 get up

thx YELLOW !!! My Dragon Age Origins review Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
shadow

shadow

PostSubject: Re: My Dragon Age Origins review   My Dragon Age Origins review I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 am

my main character is a elf mage and my second is a human fighter.....

but you would want to concentrate on cunning based stats as well as dexterity, they would be your first two to focus on and then third would be strength...hope that helps mate, you wont your Rouge to learn lockpick and sneak attacks as well.

my mage is level 19 now and is basically unstoppable. My Dragon Age Origins review Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
yellow

yellow

PostSubject: Re: My Dragon Age Origins review   My Dragon Age Origins review I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 am

My Dragon Age Origins review Icon_bounce hae shadow jst out of interest wat computer r u running on atm??????? My Dragon Age Origins review Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
shadow

shadow

PostSubject: Re: My Dragon Age Origins review   My Dragon Age Origins review I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 am

im running games from my notebook.

Clevo M860ETU
CPU: C2D extreme P9700
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX260
RAM: 4,096MB DDR3 1333MHz
HD: 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
Screen: 15.4" HD+ 1680x1050

this year ill pull out the C2D cpu and drop in a extreme Quad core @ 2.6GHz other than that im happy enough....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Dragon Age Origins review   My Dragon Age Origins review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Dragon Age Origins review
Page 1 of 1